Monday 6 June 2011

Police Visit

My daughter attends nursery at Barley Fields school in Ingleby Barwick and came home informing me that there was going to be a helicopter at nursery! " A helicopter at your nursery " I asked her suspiciously. Then mummy pointed out that the police helicopter was going to be landing in the school field so the kids could meet the crew and have a close look at it. Now I was interested and since it had been arranged by one of the teachers at her nursery Emma and I were invited along to see it too. 



Here It is coming into land. It was really windy and the pilot did a great job of manoeuvring it into position. The downdraft from the rotors was immense and I was actually leaned forward against the railings to stop myself being blown over.




Touch down. I like the way the four rotor blades came to a rest in that position pure luck. You can see how windy it was by the way the trees are bent over in the background.




Here's a shot of the crew much to the delight of the female teachers and mums!




This is what £5,000,000 of helicopter looks like from the back. Its was a slightly higher spec than your average family saloon, no electric windows though and sunroofs are out of the question due to health and safety reasons ;-)



Here's a shot of the kids ( and women ) enjoying a talk with the crew. Notice how even £5m worth of helicopter still has a windscreen wiper!  



The crew received an emergency call over the radio and had to make an early exit. Their destination was St James Cook hospital. I asked the pilot how long it will take them to get there and his was reply was two minutes. With that they jumped in we all moved back to a safe distance and got to watch them take off. Even though their visit was cut short they promised the kids they would come back in about 20 minutes once they had assisted in the emergency. It's not every day you get to see a helicopter land in your school field, let alone twice in one day. So I think the crew deserve a big thank you for taking time out to do this. I'm sure this will be one of those occasion's the kids will always remember.

We have recently photographed a wedding at Wynyard Hall and I'm in the middle of editing the photos so expect a blog on that to follow shortly. Stay tuned, Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment